Areas of Practice
Short Term Disability Claims
Toronto Short Term Disability Benefits Insurance Lawyer
What we earn from working is important to us in many ways. Those earnings pay for our living costs. Those costs cover everything from food, clothing, home (rent or mortgage), child related, etc.. We rely on our income to continue to meet or pay for those costs. It is natural that we do what is needed to make sure those earnings continue uninterrupted.
What is Disability Insurance?
Disability Insurance can help protect you and your family from an unexpected illness or accident that leaves you unable to work and earn an income.
What is Short Term Disability Insurance?
- Short term disability (STD) is a type of financial benefit that pays a percentage of an employee’s salary for a specified amount of time.
- The amount of benefits as well as the duration for these benefits varies based on the disability plan.
How Can I get Short Term Disability Insurance?
- Most Employers offer STD insurance as part of the workplace benefits. Check with your employer to see if you are covered.
- You can also purchase it individually from an insurance agent/company.
How Long Am I Covered Under Short Term Disability Insurance?
- STD coverage usually provides benefits for up to 6 months.
How Much Income Replacement Would I Receive?
STD coverage usually replaces between 50%-100% of the employee’s weekly salary.
How Do I Apply For Short Term Disability Insurance?
- Carefully review your insurance policy and inquire about the claim procedure from your insurance coverage.
- Similar to any other type of disability claim, STD requires medical evidence to support your claim.
How Can Tony Lafazanis Help?
The insurance policies can be complicated to understand, and insurers may not always accept your claim for disability benefits. A denial of insurance claims can be appealed; however, it is advisable that you retain a lawyer and commence legal action against the insurance company if you feel your benefits have been denied.
Limitations may apply. There are time limits to file a claim as detailed in the policy. If a law suit is not filed in Court within 2 years of the insurers’ initial denial of your claim, your right to make that claim may be lost. Do not delay.
Hiring Tony Lafazanis is risk free. There is no legal bill to pay, if there is no settlement.