The 6 Most Common Causes of Cycling Accidents
As a cyclist, you are routinely bombarded with information on your route that demands your attention. Giving some forethought to the most common traffic scenarios that give rise to accidents can help you more easily spot them should they arise.
1. A motorist ‘doors’ a cyclist by opening their door into an approaching cyclist.
2. A motorist makes a left-hand turn in front of an oncoming cyclist.
3. A motorist making a right-hand turn cuts off a cyclist riding parallel to the motor vehicle.
4. A motorist at a stop sign on a side street pulls out in front of a cyclist entering the intersection.
5. A cyclist is hit from behind by an overtaking motorist. This most commonly occurs at night in rural areas. It’s often caused by insufficient lights and reflectors on the bicycle.
6. A motorist pulls out from a driveway in front of a cyclist.
With these scenarios in mind, you are well on your way to becoming a safer cyclist.
If you or a loved one has been in a cycling accident you can trust Tony Lafazanis to help you in your time of need and to obtain the maximum compensation to which you are entitled.