Despite the several COVID lockdowns and restrictions in Ontario which led to fewer cars being on the road, cyclist accidents did not decrease. In Toronto alone, 22 pedestrians and cyclists were killed in the city this year. Cyclist deaths remain consistent within the last four years despite a significant increase in biking lanes implemented by the city.Read More
As a cyclist, you are routinely bombarded with information on your route that demands your attention. Giving some forethought to the most common traffic scenarios that give rise to cycling accidents can help you more easily spot them should they arise. This list is not intended to diminish the responsibility of motorists, but you need to protect yourself, to ride defensively.
- A motorist ‘doors’ a cyclist by opening their door into an approaching cyclist.
- A motorist makes a left-hand turn in front of an oncoming cyclist.
- A motorist making a right-hand turn cuts off a cyclist riding parallel to the motor vehicle.
- A motorist at a stop sign on a side street pulls out in front of a cyclist entering the intersection.
- A cyclist is hit from behind by an overtaking motorist. This most commonly occurs at night in rural areas. It’s often contributed to by insufficient lights and reflectors on the bicycle.
- A motorist pulls out from a driveway in front of a cyclist.
With these scenarios in mind, you are well on your way to better protecting yourself as a cyclist.
Bicycle Accident Lawyer Cabbagetown
If you or a loved one has been in a bicycle accident, you can trust Tony Lafazanis to help you in your time of need and to obtain the maximum compensation to which you are entitled. Contact Tony for a free case evaluation.
Please take a moment to watch the webinar Tony presented to Cycle Toronto members, “Compensating Cyclists – Where there’s a will, there’s a way“
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
Each personal injury case is unique, and requires dedication, professionalism, expertise and a personal, hands-on approach. If you have suffered injury due to the negligence of others or are being denied disability benefits, Tony Lafazanis will guide you through every step of the legal process, and ensure you receive the compensation to which you are entitled.
Contact Tony Lafazanis today for a free consultation, or fill out our client form.
416 979 1770
1 888 979 1770